As I considered my favorite one-liners, I realized most of them are from my comfort films — those films that I watch again and again and again, that I watch to take the sting off a bad day, that I watch just to kill time. These aren’t the best films ever made, but they’re my favorites.
This being the internet, I wondered if it was possible to find the scripts for each of my comfort films. Sure enough:
- This is Spinal Tap — “This one goes to eleven.”
- The Big Lebowski — positively filled with memorable quotes, such as: “Nihilists! Fuck me. I mean, say what you like about the tenets of National Socialism, Dude, at least it’s an ethos.”
- When Harry Met Sally — “I’d like the pie heated and I don’t want the ice cream on top, I want it on the side, and I’d like strawberry instead of vanilla if you have it, if not then no ice cream just whipped cream but only if it’s real; if it’s out of the can then nothing.”
- The Princess Bride — “INCONCEIVABLE!! “
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail — “Strange women lyin’ in ponds distributin’ swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!”
- Buckaroo Banzai— “Evil! Pure and simple from the eighth dimension!”
- Joe Versus the Volcano — “I’m a flibbertigibbet.”
- Alien — “Ash, that transmission — Mother’s deciphered part of it. It doesn’t look like an S.O.S.”
- Blade Runner — “I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.”
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan — “Khaaaaaaannn!!!”
The only script I couldn’t locate was for the recent Amelie; there’s probably a French script out there someplace.
I’ve been craving the seriously underrated (and misunderstood) Joe Versus the Volcano lately; I need to watch it soon.
Joe Versus the Volcano resources from around the web:
- Sound clips from the film.
- An interpretation of the film’s symbolism.
- An essay comparing Joe Versus the Volcano and Kierkegaard.
- Joe Versus the Volcano links
- All about the Joe Versus the Volcano DVD
- Roger Ebert’s review of Joe Versus the Volcano
Kris’ favorite comfort film? Hopscotch.
On 13 March 2003 (09:20 AM),
Buckaroo Banzai said:
On 13 March 2003 (10:16 AM),
On 13 March 2003 (10:37 AM),
On 13 March 2003 (04:35 PM),
On 13 March 2003 (08:44 PM),
On 14 March 2003 (09:34 AM),
On 14 March 2003 (10:05 AM),
On 14 March 2003 (03:28 PM),
On 14 March 2003 (05:03 PM),
On 14 March 2003 (07:01 PM),